This was great. The ending made me very emotional.
Orbital Paladin Melchior Y
A downloadable game for Windows
War in Space
It is the year 231 of the Frontier Era.
A nine-year war continues to rage between two mighty powers in the Earth sphere, conducted largely by heavily armed mechanized suits in space battles.
Eighteen-year-old Wick Palmer joins the small crew of the spaceship Nauvoo to take control of the Orbital Federated States' most advanced mech. Guarding a remote point in the solar system, the quiet the team has enjoyed cannot hold for long.
Guide Wick as he forges relationships with his teammates, fights off enemies, and questions his place in a war that never ends.
Written, designed, and programmed by John D. Moore.
Content warning: Strong language, death, light sexuality
- Hybrid fast-paced shooting action and story-driven visual novel systems
- Pilot a powerful mech, armed with high-powered energy bullets and an ion sword
- Get to know and establish relationships with crew members
- Multiple branching story paths
- Approximately 30-60 minutes of story.
- Inspired by classic 70s and 80s giant robot anime like Gundam, Gunbuster, and Ideon
- Press X, Z, or down to advance dialog boxes
- Press up or down to select dialog options
- Press X, Z, or Enter to confirm dialog options
- Press C to speed up text
- Press down to display full text
- Move with arrow keys
- Press X to switch between ranged (bullet) and melee (ion sword) modes
- Press Z to fire (ranged) or swing sword (melee)
- Press F4 at any time to toggle between fullscreen and windowed modes
- Press Esc at any time to return to the main menu
Autosave and Non-repetition
The game automatically saves as you advance. No character will ever repeat the same dialog. Time marches forward, and there's no turning back.
Orbital Paladin Melchior Y makes use of songs released under CC0 public domain licenses and CC-BY-3.0 and CC-BY-4.0 attribution licenses. The following artists' music are used with gratitude:
- Traditional and classical music arranged by Mick Jones, in addition to an original composition, all released by the artist into the public domain
- Multiple battle tracks and the title theme are by Jonathan So (CC0)
- "Introduction Remake+" by Spring (CC-BY-4.0)
- "Contemplation" by Joth (CC0)
- "Fallen Hero" by Machine (CC-BY-4.0)
- "Chill Lofi Inspired" by omfgdude (CC0)
- "My Friends Will Cry" by Christovix Games, as heard in Chapter Five's combat sequence
Will You Survive?
In order to download this game you must purchase it at or above the minimum price of $3.79 USD. You will get access to the following files:
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
I really loved this! I had a lot of fun trying not to die, and I felt like the battles integrated really well with the overall story! The ending surprised me, but it fit into the overall theme of being "in orbit" of a bigger war. I could tell there were different paths, do they all converge on the same ending?
A lot of fun, and really inspiring on how to integrate plot and gameplay mechanics~! :D Thank you for making it!!!!
Ah, thank you so much!! It's a mild spoiler, but yes, all paths lead to the same ultimate ending, though there's a decent amount of branching on the way there based on the conversations you have and who dies in combat when.
I really want to play with the integration of VN-type narratives with action sequences like this more! I haven't hit on the right idea quite yet, though!
The action set-pieces work great, I cared about the characters, and the ending's perfect. I really loved this story.